As you get older, your skin will lose some of its elasticity, and it will start to wrinkle and sag. This is a fact of life that you cannot avoid, but you do not necessarily have to just sit back and let it happen. There are plenty of simple things you can do to keep your skin moisturized so that it looks youthful for as long as possible.
1. Limit Your Showers – Hot water strips your skin of its natural oils, which can leave it dry. Try to limit your showers to no more than 10 minutes, and keep the temperature down – the water should be about body temperature. After you get out of the shower, apply a moisturizing cream or lotion within 5 minutes.
2. Choose the Right Moisturizer – Look for moisturizers that have skin-repairing ingredients, like humectants, occlusives, and barrier-repair compounds. Humectants are ideal for people with oily skin while occlusives help lock in moisture.
3. Moisturize Before Bed – If you want to keep your hands and feet soft and supple, apply a moisturizer right before going to bed. To maximize the results, put on socks and gloves.
4. Avoid Using Harsh Soap – Regular soap can dry out your skin – especially if you use it on your face. Choose a soap made with moisturizing ingredients, and only use facial cleansers on your face.
5. Protect Your Skin from Sun Damage – If you are going to go outside, apply sunblock to protect your skin from UV rays. Wearing a hat will help protect the skin on your face, and long sleeves and pants will cover everything else.
The health of your skin is a direct reflection of your overall health, so by making a few simple changes to your diet or lifestyle, you can improve the appearance of your skin. Just follow the tips above for moisturized, more youthful-looking skin.